Sunday, March 23, 2014

Lucky Life

Hang-Gliding Trophy made by Allen Stanish

I remember standing in the LZ the day we reopened Mt. Equinox as a New England flying site after 17 years of it being closed. I had just landed after my first, and short lived flight off an H4 rated site; one of the first to fly Equinox again. While I was extremely grateful for the opportunity to fly this amazing site, I couldn't help but watch as only two pilots of the 15 to 20 that were there that day, climbed above launch and flew around for hours. Tom Lanning and PK. The rest of us sledded to the bottom.

I watched these two 'Sky Gods', as I called them, intently as this inner drive screamed inside me. Something primal, something uncontrolled, something that said - "I need to be up there with them, not standing down here watching." I wasn't angry, or depressed, just driven. Driven to get where they were in skill. Driven to achieve what they had. Driven that, like them, I could take a complete dud of a day for 90% of the pilots, and turn it into a successful soaring adventure with hours of airtime.

That was September 7, 2009. Four plus years later, I sit here reflecting back on that moment and many others of equal awe and inspiration. The two pilots I mentioned above, as well as many more, have been incredibly supportive and inspirational in my progression. I have met some of the best people, some of the most kind and giving people, and made some of the deepest friendships in this sport. Which is saying a lot from an introvert.

I am extremely grateful for the things I have been lucky enough to do in life, in this sport, and for those who have supported me and continue to offer their support. Thank you all!!!

Here's the video of last year's winning flight. You can read my blog write-up here (because apparently I should reread my own stuff before talking about it at the banquet so I can tell it right...) -






No comments: