Sunday, June 17, 2012

Locked in Combat - Day 6 of East Coast Championships

I was orbiting at 5300' in the start circle under the big BLUE sky, floating in and out of the top of a thermal without a cloud in sight.  I was closely watching all the gliders struggling below; some landing back at the airport, one in a field under me a mile or two from base, and many more scratching and clawing for any lift they could find.

It was now day 6 of the East Coast Championships at Highland Aerosports in Ridgely, MD.  Blue skies were predicted for the day along significant wind speeds.  I was doing better as the week progressed, but I had still only made goal 1 time.  In the grand scheme of things I was doing well for my first Open Class comp, but I wanted to do better.

Twenty-Five minutes prior, I was in the line-up waiting for my turn to launch.  Bruce and Steve pushed me out onto the runway after going through the safety checks, I thanked them for their help and Bruce hooked me up to the tow plane being piloted by Zach.  I gave the go sign and the tug roared to life.  As I sped down the runway my glider became airborne and I eased the base bar out of the cart and rose into the air.  

The tow was smooth and a good speed, some minor turbulence but relaxing compared to some of the other days that week.  We turned 90' to the runway and hit some turbulence coming out.  Still, nothing substantial.  I already had grim hopes for the day after seeing the forecast, a smooth tow was not a good sign.

We continued on and soon hit some bumps in the air.  I was looking around the sky as we were towing, noticing all the pilots that were airborne, stuck in the same place at the same relatively low altitude, and not climbing fast (if at all).  Another bad sign.

As we were heading downwind of the runway Zach flew through something that I knew was good.  NOTE: I can't see my instruments when I'm towing, so all I have is the audio to go by which is tough because the plane is towing you up, and the audio on the variometer is saying you are climbing all the time anyway.  Zach and I don't recall what altitude we were at when he waved me off, but we certainly weren't close to the 2500' that the tug pilots normally release us at.

He gave the signal and I pulled my release.  I turned into the lift and began sniffing for a climb.  I was getting 20fpm to 50 fpm up, but nothing substantial.  Then, I felt the surge that is usually followed by the nice core of a thermal waiting on the other side.  Sure enough, I hit the wall of ascending air and cranked the glider up on the tip, not daring to turn too flat - a mistake I made the first day this week in similar conditions.  I was climbing over 800fpm and rocketing away from the earth.

Within seconds I was at the same altitude as the hovering pilots I had seen moments before.  I passed them with the blink of an eye as I raced skyward three more turns.  Then I saw them darting toward me in hopes to join in the fun.  It would not be.  They came in under me searching, scouring, all in vain, but could not link up with it.  Paris later told me he had found that "small ratty thing" below, but couldn't bank up inside with all the other gliders around.  I had hoped everyone would connect with it, but part of me was grinning in satisfaction to be at the top of the stack.

I climbed out to 4500' and then the climbs slowed to 50fpm.  I kept drifting with it and worked it up to 5300' where it topped out.  I then sat in orbit watching the start circle show.  Some clouds began to appear and then disappear, but this was a good sign since even short lived clouds would help mark the thermals on course.  I saw a cloud 4 miles out but kept my position to be safe while I edged closer to the start circle border.

Roughly 10 minutes had gone by and I noticed a gaggle eastward, at my altitude, nearing the border of the start circle!  A group to fly with!  This was a good thing.  Unfortunately they were 4 miles away approaching that cloud I had seen earlier.  I cranked the VG and the CG and went gliding off to join them.  I came in under them by 500 feet and started searching for the thermal core so I could climb quickly to meet them.

As I approached the gaggle (Paris Williams, Mitch Shipley, Greg Dinauer, John Simon, and Rich Cizauskus), they all left and headed back toward the runway.  What!?!?  Where was everyone going?  I looked at my instruments and saw that I was now 'outside' the start circle, and the next clock was about to go off.  I could go back with everyone else and tag the next start clock, or I could get to cloudbase and just go.  I made the decision to ignore the clocks (as I had been all week) and to keep my position and use it to get a good jump.  My goal was to stay with the lead pack again today.

Earlier in the week, I had become separated from the pack, and spent the rest of the flight on my own trying to complete a 50 mile triangle.  I made goal, but it took me almost 5 hours to do it.  Everyone else was there in 2 to 3 hours.  I knew if I went back to get the clock, I'd be behind everyone trying to catch up.  I came here to fly with the big boys so I could learn and that was what I was going to do, clock or no clock.

I stayed where I was and finished my ascent.  I pulled on the cords and went on glide to a nice cloud to the east leading out.   Three quarters of the way there I looked over my shoulder and saw Paris in pursuit.  I sped up and as I neared the cloud, I noticed a large Osprey circling in a thermal.  I quickly joined him and used him to center on the most excellent core that awaited us.  As I took a full turn, I noticed another Osprey, the two of them started screaming at me...stingy birds.

Paris came in under me and the two of us cranked up our Combats and screamed upward at 800fpm +.  I watched Paris as he was 25 feet below me, locked in tight, as we whirred and spun round one another in an amazing sight.  We got to base...errrr....I should say, I got to base (6200ft.), and Paris had already left.  I quickly chased after him and started what was to be an exciting journey down the first leg of our course.  I had NEVER flown as fast as we were flying.  I was amazed at how far I was pulled in, and how tired my arms were getting after a few long glides like this.  We were flying speeds up to 57mph at times, never getting below 4000'.

As we approached the first turnpoint jumping from cloud to cloud, Paris skipped a climb and shot for the turnpoint.  Mitch shot past me chasing after Paris.  I stopped for the climb and to tank up, unsure of what lied ahead.  As I took a few turns, Rich, Greg, and John all passed over my head, I continued to work on my own. 

Mitch got low at the turnpoint and I ended up racing with he and Greg for the first 1/3 of the 2nd leg.  The same thing ended up happening again, I stopped for a climb that no one else wanted, and was again on my own.  I remained as such for the rest of the flight.

I carried on working toward the second turnpoint, and ended up getting low (for the day).  There were no clouds here and I was out in the blue and on my own.  I scraped around looking for climbs down around 2000' and under where things were a lot tougher.  I worked and worked and finally found a decent enough climb 2 miles from the turnpoint.  I was drifting away from it (still with no idea where it was since it was only a GPS point in the middle of a road somewhere) but scraped together enough altitude to get there.

I arrived at the turnpoint and found a thermal waiting for me there.  Nothing special but a climb was a climb in my situation.  I gained enough altitude to see that I had goal by 300ft.  I wasn't comfortable with 'going for it' on those tight margins, and really wanted one more climb to get me an 1100ft. window.  I flew toward a cloud line that was setup all the way to the southeast coast, but I found my climb in the blue before getting there.  I turned and turned and quickly gained enough altitude to have goal by 1600ft.

I cranked on the cords and went on glide toward goal...which was somewhere out there, but I had no idea where or what I was looking for.  Normally I look up these things on google earth before the flight, but with the Landing Clinics in the mornings, making breakfast/lunch, setup, pilots meeting, etc., I had little time for that.  No matter, I'd find it.  I didn't fly fast, only 33mph (best glide) in case I needed altitude to find goal once I got closer.

As I flew the courseline, I hit climb, after climb, after climb...I started speeding up.  I pulled in, and started flying 43mph and was still climbing at 400fpm.  I was unknowingly in another convergence.  I was within 2 miles of goal and still couldn't see it, it was supposed to be a small airfield. Where was it?!?!  I was now within 1 mile, still no luck.  I swore the other pilots would have made goal.  Did I pass over their heads on the ground?  Did they hit goal and fly to the beach in Ocean City?  BEEEEEEP!!!!  My vario made that beautiful sound it makes when you arrive at goal.

I smiled, still a bit confused.  I looked everywhere for gliders on the ground and found nothing.  I then looked straight down and what did I see?  4 gliders parked next to one another next to a grass strip.  HA!  I looked at my altimeter - 3300'.  OOPS!!  Damn, I did it again - arrived a goal with way too much altitude.  Better than the opposite I suppose.

I burned off my altitude and landed with a perfect no stepper on the runway.  Rich, who had been helping me in the landing clinics, was full of cheer.  Everyone was happy to see me and quite welcoming, offering up much congratulations.  I was the 5th pilot in goal.  Mitch got held up down low near the second turn point and landed a short while later.  I was feeling pretty special until a total of 9 gliders ended up in goal for the day.  Ah well, I made it, and I got to race with the big boys.  FUN STUFF!!!

I set a new personal distance record, and my driver was waiting for me when I landed.  Thanks Cindy!!! Oh, and that start clock business...that cost me 4th place for the day and put me in 6th instead.

Highlights of the day:  Orbiting alone at the top of the stack in the start circle.  Racing on the first leg under amazing clouds with strong lift.  FAST!!!  Thermaling with 2 Ospreys and Paris Williams (National Champion).  Racing with Paris, Greg, and Mitch.  Making Goal! 

Course:  Ridgely to Georgetown to RD 49 to BUNTI.  Double Dog Leg.

Flight Time:  3hrs 3min
Distance: 64 miles
Max Alt. - 7300'

NOTE:  I was very busy on this flight and did not have time to take pictures.  I should have taken some while burning off altitude at goal but I completely spaced it in my excitement. 




No comments: