Saturday, April 14, 2012

Spring Sledder

Some pilots were heading to Rutland on Saturday but I had to teach classes in the morning and didn't want to miss BJJ for what looked to be an iffy shot at Rutland.  I checked the forecast and Deerfield looked to be the right direction and a good velocity so I decided to load the car up the night before and take the bike to work.  My good buddy Allen agreed to ride along with me and help me launch.


After classes I rushed home and picked up the car.  I met Allen on rt 2 and we headed out around 2:00pm.  We arrived at launch around 3:30pm to find Ross and Nick there 'Hang Waiting'.  Conditions got better when we arrived and Nick took off for an hour long flight.  I quickly setup while Nick was soaring over our heads.


After assembly and doing my pre-flight, I climbed into my harness and headed to launch.  Ross decided to let me go ahead of him and he and Allen assisted me on launch.  I cringed as my carbon fiber base tube grinded on the rocks at launch.  I soon forgot about it while I watched the conditions.  With no leaves on the trees it was difficult to get a head start launching before the thermal would blow through.  As soon as the next cycle hit launch, I pciked up the glider and took to the skies.


 I turned off launch but wasn't climbing.  I made a pass back still sinking and decided to head into the valley and search.  I found a weak thermal but after 3 turns I was losing ground and not gaining.  I bailed out and headed toward the main road to position myself over a small ridge in front and closer to the LZ.  I found a good thermal but now only 250ft. off the deck, I didn't have much room to play with.  I glided for the LZ and began the rock and roll ride into the fields. 

Trying to core up.  LZ in the background.
I hit some bumps in the air making my approach but made into the fields with no issues.  Ross launched shortly after I landed and duplicated my short sled run.  Flight was short but it gave me a chance to launch and land and get some of the winter cobwebs off.

Allen and I stopped in Greenfield for some excellent Thai Food before heading home.  Good day.

Flight time: 4 minutes

7th Flight in the Combat

No comments: