Monday, June 14, 2010

Cloud Punch!


Rhett towed us to the moon, as the sky looked like trash the air was smooth, and it was a guaranteed sled run.  Unbeknownst to us, there were thermals to be found and Mark Hermann from CT squeaked out a 40 minute flight off tow.  I towed up a while after Mark, and Pete J. had taken off right before me.  Rhett waved me off tow in front of a rather wide cloud bank, which I thought he was going to tow me right through for a moment.  As I looked at this white wave in front of me, I couldn't resist the urge to fly through it.


Normally this would be a very bad idea, but the day was so 'anemic', I estimated there would be little turbulence in there.  As I approached the cloud bank, my vario became silenced.  I looked over to see the bar staying at zero - no sink!  Lift!  Had I been more interested in such minor details, I may have been able to ride the front of that bank back to Morningside, but I was too distracted by the thought of flying through a cloud to pay attention. 


As I approached the cloud, I pulled the bar in to speed up, in case there 'was' actually turbulence in there.  I punched through the exterior wall and immediately transported to some surreal wonderland.  Flying roughly 40 mph, things were whizzing by me with a good pace.  I could see splotches of the ground poking through the white floor of the cloud below.  All this added together to create a feeling of going through some sort of warp in a movie, it was amazing! 


After an all too short period of time, I exited out the other side of the cloud with elation.  It was so much fun, that I scanned the sky for another.  I quickly found a lone cloud in the distance that I could still reach with my current, and descending altitude, and I headed straight for it.

The second cloud was smaller and a little more broken, but still fun to punch through.  As I came out the other side I began my glide back to Morningside.  I scanned back and forth as I traversed the sky, looking for any lift I could find - nothing.  I remembered feeling a few bounces on tow as we passed over the trailer park south of the runway so I decided that may be my best bet. 


I arrived south of the runway at 1300' and snagged a small thermal (50fpm) off the trailer park that built with more force (200 to 300fpm) over the corn fields.  I rode it back to the training hill to 2500' and then it fizzled out.  I went back to the trailer park and found another thermal that was smaller and less developed.  I fought hard to ride it up but couldn't stay in it.  The air was buoyant and smooth; around 400' over the parking lot and bullseye, there was lift.  I turned a bit in the little stuff, doing no more than slowing my descent.


Directly over the bullseye I found a small thermal and smiled as I turned, trying to core up over the LZ.  It would have been fun, but no such luck.  All told, an exciting and enjoyable flight on a day that looked like nothing was going to happen.


The photo above is a cloud formation that looked like 3 fingers stretching into the ground from up above.

Flight Time: 51 minutes.

No comments: